A little bit of Chile

 Hi FAU Bloggers,

As you might have guessed by now, I'm what's known in good Chilean as "pati-peri." However, aside from having been lucky enough to visit some amazing countries in my long life, I have also visited some amazing places in Chile. I travelled Chile from Arica to Aysen so I still have a third of the teritory left to discover. Today I'm going to write about a place in Chile I really enjoyed visiting and that I'd like to visit again: Malalcahuello. 

I visited Malalcahuello in 2007 when one of my sisters was visiting from the UK. My sister arrive towards the end of February.  A few days after she arrived, and along with my wife, we decided to embark on a spontaneous road trip south. We packed up a tent and all our camping gear and headed South. We spent a night in Chanco, a couple of nights in Cobquecura and a night in Curacautin before arriving in Malalcuhuello. By this time my wife was tired of driving and wanted a holiday so we decided to stay a few days. We were actually really lucky as we found a really amazing, newly-built cabin half way up the mountain to the Navidad crater on Lonquimay Volcano. We were the first tenants so they gave us a special price for 3 nights. We had an amazing time. On the first day we got up early and walked up to the crater and around a long ridge on the other side. It was a very bright and sunny day so we got back to the cabin by midday. There is some really beautiful countryside in the region. My sister loves horses so we spent  our second day horse riding in the very northern tip of the Conguillio National Park. They was another memorable experience because you really go into the wild. The fact that the horse was doing all the work allowed me the chance to fully engage with the environment which was really stunning. The trip up the volcano had been hot and dusty, the horse riding excursion was obviously less strenuous, often riding through shady areas of forest. The most amazing think was the sound of nature, totally free of acoustic polution. We spent the last day at Malacahuello Thermal Spa which was another fun day. I'm not a big fan of spas but it was nice to relax and float after two fairly active days walking and riding.


My sister Fran on Crater Navidad.

Write about a place in Chile that you would like to visit again.

Say:

Where it is,

When you went there,

How you got there,

Who you went with,

What you did there,

Why you enjoyed this experience.

Mention anything else you think is important. 

Write at least 200 words. Leave a comment on my blog and on the blogs of at least 3 classmates.


Comments

  1. I'm happy that your sister got to know chile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 5 sisters. The last one to know Chile will come in February 2024.

      Delete
  2. Chile has many places fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  3. South of chile is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love the North. The desert is beautiful too:)

      Delete
  4. listen the sound of nature is a wonderful experience :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but unfortunately its more difficult to do it regularly these days.

      Delete
  5. wow, I would also like to travel to the north of Chile, is it very expensive to go there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the bus there (26 hours) and then hitchhiked back to Santiago over 2 weeks.

      Delete
  6. I'll put it on my list of places to go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful place plus still quite isolated,

      Delete
  7. Whenever I read about your trips, I get jealous. How I would like to travel as you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. It was great. After Malalcuhuello we crossed over to Argentina and drove to Bariloche. We came back via Osorno, Valdivia & Parral. It was epic.

      Delete
  9. it must be incredible to be able to be in a place without any kind of noise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just birdsong, bubbling streams & the hum of insects:)

      Delete
  10. I would definitely like to visit Malalcahuello one day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It will be very comfortable to soak in the Thermal after exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The water was a great temperature and all the natural minerals increase the relaxing effect.

      Delete
  12. Discovering a new place is like unlock a new zone in the map of our games called life, i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always wanted to ride a horse! what a good experience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I´ve done it a few times at Maitencillo too and once in Cajon de Maipo. The best experience was in the Valley of Death in San Pedro de Atacama

      Delete
  14. My plan after finishing University is to do the same as you (travel, travel, travel hahaha).
    What a good experience!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Language

A Book

Someone Interesting that you follow on Social Media