Language

Hi FAU Bloggers,

Let's talk language:)

So, I speak English as a first language even though I'm technically Welsh (I was born in Wales). However, my Grandparents on my mother's side were Irish and on my Dad's side with a connection to the Campbell clan in Scotland. I don't speak Welsh, which is a Celtic language, and I tend to describe myself as a British "kiltro."

As a child I went to a Catholic School. I had Latin lessons but learnt no Latin and French lessons and learnt no French. My next attempt at learning a foreign language was Spanish almost 15 years after leaving school. At age 29, I went to live in Spain in search of a new life (after 6 years trying to be a musician). I knew about 10 Spanish words when I arrived in Spain and it took me about 6 months before I began to speak any Spanish. People were happy that I only spoke English because they had the chance to practice with me but I became curious about Spanish and I really wanted to learn it. Now, 35 years later, I speak Chilean Spanish but I still make lots of mistakes. Nevertheless, It's not somthing that bother's me that much because I know that the only thing that mattters is communicating an idea - not necessarily being a great language learner.

After learning Spanish, I also learnt Italian. In recent years I have tried my hand at Japanese and Chinese but the older you get the harder it is to learn a language (you become too busy and too set in your ways) This is the main message I try to convey to my students. Take advantage of the time dedicated to studying a language while you can. 

In my opinion, the way you learn a language is by using it (listening/reading) or doing it (speaking/writing). 

When I lived in Spain, I learnt a lot by watching news and then reading about the same news item in a Spanish newspaper. I also watched things I was interested in (like football) with Spanish comentators so I learnt more technical vocabulary. Finally, with my Spanish partner, I watched "telenovelas" (I think my favourite was "Abigail"), and with my partner's nephew I read "Dragonball". 

Nowadays, I tend to speak more English & "Spanglish" than Spanish (my wife speaks to me in Chinese 50% of the time!!!) which means my Spanish is a little rusty. 

Okay, it's time for you to talk about your language learning experience with English.

Say:

When you first started learning English,

What you find easy and/or complicated,

What you do to pactice out of class,

What things you enjoy doing in English class,

Whether you think English will be useful in the future (why/why not),

What aspects of English culture you find interesting.

Write at least 200 words. Leave a comment on your teacher's blog and on the blogs of 3 classmates.If you finish. Please find a Guardian article to read and leave a link to the article on my blog:)

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. It´s not difficult for Spanish speakers. It shares a similar grammar and vocabulary

      Delete
  2. Watching movies or series, you learn a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I think series are better because here is lots of language repitition. I learnt to say ¨Mil demonios" watching telenovelas (lol)

      Delete
  3. I think Chilean Spanish is the most complicated language to learn hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It is a beautiful country. I meet some great people, ate wonderful food and visited amazing locations (especially cities & beaches).

      Delete
  5. In your opinion and experience, what is the most beautiful language?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Italian - because Italians speak with such passion.

      Delete
  6. i would like to learn japanese, when we were in quarantine i started studying it a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it dificult but my wife made good progress before she switched to Chinese.

      Delete
  7. Is it very complicated to learn Chinese?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Having 4 tones in Mandarin is complicated - especially for an English speaker. It might be easier for Spanish speakers because of the way you demonstrate word stress.

      Delete
  8. I wanted to learn French, but I didn´t have this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know about 30 phrases because I lived with 2 French people for a year at University. I think the pronunciation is the most complicated thing. The grammar should be easier for Spanish speakers because they both have their roots in Latin.

      Delete
  9. languages are so interesting, is there one that you say: no, i will never try to learn this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arabic. The gutteral sounds (like the ¨jota¨in Spanish are too difficult for me :)

      Delete
  10. What was the easiest thing to learn spanish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/11/manhole-covers-become-collectors-items-in-japan

      Delete
  11. I think vocabulary because I read a lot. Being a good reader made learning new words easier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Italian is a great language, i find it very atracttive

    ReplyDelete
  13. as you requested im leaving a guardian article link that i found interesting teacher.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/oct/10/why-do-we-make-the-same-mistakes-as-our-parents

    ReplyDelete
  14. It has a long history with spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree that the older you are, the more difficult it is to learn languages.

    ReplyDelete
  16. learning Chilean Spanish must have been complicated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very. I could make myself understood but couldn´t understand anything (ha-ha-ha!)

      Delete
  17. You know some Latin! I would love to learn Latin as a second language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! I didn´t learn any Latin. I used to recite some of the Catholic mass in Latin but I never really learnt anything.

      Delete
  18. I also learned a language by watching series too!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You speak many languages, great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more your learn the easy it becomes because you compare them all.

      Delete
  20. I also would like to speak Italian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/oct/07/how-to-cook-with-vinegar-yotam-ottolenghi-harissa-chicory-chicken-hot-sauce-scrambled-paneer-recipes

      Delete
  21. Wow! you have had a lot of experience learning languages ​​(or trying hahaha) I have only tried to learn English

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Book

Someone Interesting that you follow on Social Media